BONUS at the BDF and EUSBSR Annual forum 2014
The 5th Annual Forum of the EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region (EUSBSR) was held together with the 16th Baltic Development Forum Summit on 3-4 June 2014 in Turku, Finland. The event, entitled 'Growing together - for a prosperous, inclusive and connected Baltic Sea region', was part of the Turku Baltic Sea Days, an initiative that included different events having the Baltic Sea region as a common denominator.
On both days of the Forum, the BONUS exhibition was open at the Annual Forum's networking village. On 4 June 2014, Kaisa Kononen, Executive Director of BONUS, interviewed in the BONUS lunch time session the coordinator of COCOA project, Professor Jacob Carstensen from the Aarhus University and the coordinator of OPTITREAT project, Assistant Director Helene Ejhed from the IVL Swedish Environmental Research Institute at the networking village’s presentation stage.
This 'BONUS Forum' session was moderated by Andris Andrusaitis, Programme Manager, BONUS and Maxi Nachtigall, Adviser, Council of the Baltic Sea States, CBSS-Baltic 21. The over 70 participants in attendance learned more about successful cooperation using as a case the undercurrent and necessity of the sustainable development.
The session outlined the necessity of true collaboration between academia, industry and policy and showcased good practices how this kind of collaboration is fostered, encouraged and enhanced. There needs to be a sound and strong research and innovation funding, governance structure and well established science-policy dialogue frameworks for creating the scientific and technological basis for the development
of sustainable solutions in support of Blue and Green Growth.
- Professor Jacob Carstensen, Department of Bioscience, Applied Marine Ecology and Modelling, Aarhus University, Denmark and the coordinator of BONUS COCOA project on nutrient retention in the coastal zone
- Advisor Anna Sosnowska, Chief Inspectorate of
Environmental Protection, Poland and the Polish coordinator
of EUSBSR Priority Area Nutrients
- Dr. Grit Martinez, Senior Fellow & Adjunct Associate Professor Duke University, Berlin, Germany and partner in BONUS SOILS2SEA project on reducing nutrient load from agriculture
- Ministerial Adviser Marja-Liisa Tapio-Biström, Ministry of Agriculture and Forest, Finland
- Assistant Director Heléne Ejhed, Natural Resources & Environmental Effects, IVL Swedish Environmental Research Institute and coordinator of the BONUS innovation project OPTITREAT on optimisation of small wastewater treatment facilities
- Coordinator Jenny Hedman, Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, EUSBSR Priority Area Hazardous substances
- Head Åsa Stenmarck, Head of Waste Group, IVL Swedish Environmental Research Institute and project manager of RECO Baltic 21TECH project on sustainable waste management in the Baltic Sea region
- Director Karin Nygård Skalman, BSR Stars, VINNOVA, Sweden and EUSBSR Priority Area Innovation and SME
Successful cooperation: research development and innovation, view the video:
The video is of courtesy of the BDF and EUSBSR Annual Forum 2014.
More about the BDF and EUSBSR Annual Forum 2014